Monday, April 25, 2005

I decided not to go to the Anzac Day dawn service this morning as I'd read in the paper that it started at 4.30am, far too early, so I had a bit of lie in and walked to Hyde park and watched some of the parade. It was quite touching, there were so many people along the streets cheering on the old war heroes. After that I went and sat by the water at the Anzac Memorial and waited til 12pm for the Commemoration service. I felt a bit bad cos I've never been to anything like that in the UK, but it was really interesting anyway, a lot of hymns were sung and prayers said. I felt really sorry for the young Australian army corps, they had to stand to attention by the water for the whole service, after a while they started dropping like flies, fainting all over the place, bless them.
After that I went to meet Matt so we could go to the rugby. I really enjoyed it, although most of the time I hadn't a clue what was going on! I was asking Matt a million questions! It was the first rugby league match I've seen, but I think I will go again. It was very Americanised, they had the cheer leaders and the mascots and the music whenever the home team scored a try, so it was a good atmosphere and the game got quite exciting towards the end...the away team the Dragons beat the Sydney Roosters 26 - 24.

No comments: