Tuesday, March 14, 2006

What an interesting last day at work I've had. I had to go down to the basement this morning to shred some documents in the industrial shredder (yes, my job was that interesting) I was nearly finished when I heard the fire alarm go off. I started to panic a bit as I had no idea where I was or where the exits were. Anyway, I finally saw someone who said don't worry it's not a fire, the pipes have burst on level 4 which caused the alarm to go off. I tried to get back up to level 18 in the lift, but it wasn't working, so I eventually found my way out via the ramp. When I got to the outside of the building, there were loads of people outside, and there was water pouring out the building and they weren't letting anyone back in (which was a good job as I didn't fancy walking up 18 flights of stairs). The fire brigade eventually turned up, and more and more people were coming out of the building. Apparently a fire hydrant had exploded and had flooded level 4 and level 3. I'd been waiting for ages, so I went over the road to sit down on the bench. Anyway, to cut a long story short, they evacuated the whole building, luckily I saw someone from my floor and he let me phone Nicole so I could ask her to bring all my stuff down (I was a bit worried as everything I had was up there...and of course it was my last day). So she came down with my stuff and we all had to go to Hyde Park to see what was going on.....in the end she told me I may as well go home, I'd done most of my work anyway...so I'm just off home now, only bummer is, I probably won't get paid for the afternoon :-(

No comments: