Tuesday, July 26, 2005

Townsville - Day 9
I arrived safely in Townsville this afternoon, I couldn't keep my eyes open on the bus again, I don't know what's the matter with me! The guest house where I'm staying is really nice, it's very clean and the facilities are very good. I had a lovely afternoon, I walked up Castle Hill which is a fair way up, I think it's 2km long, I was out of breath before I'd even reached the start! It took me about 30-45 mins, at first when I saw the signs I was a bit worried as they had pictures of a man with a hiking stick, but I thought I'd try it out anyway.....it was well worth the hike, the views were fantastic, I actually felt really overwhelmed by it, I get these moments every now and then where I can't believe that I'm actually here. To make it even better the day has been gorgeous. I stayed up the top for a while, there were lots of different lookouts to go to. The descent was a bit precarious, my legs were wobbling like anything, it wasn't a very easy walk down I tell you, I even had to run a bit at the bottom cos my legs were shaking so much, I must have looked a bit weird!
After that I took a walk down to the esplanade by the beach, they'd refurbished it (if that's the right word) recently, they spent something like $8 million. It was only a short beach, so that didn't take long, I then walked past all the restaurants by the river and to the shops, I had to buy myself some decent food to eat, I haven't eaten a vegetable in ages, I've been living on crumpets. So I bought myself some fruit and and a salad. I had the best meal I've cooked for ages, baked potato and salad...yummy!!
I've got a busy week coming up, I've booked to go on a cattle muster on an Outback farm for the day tomorrow...yee haa! then the next day it's a trip to the Billabong Sanctuary where I can cuddle a koala, then on Friday I'm going to Magnetic Island for a couple of nights. I've decided I really like Townsville!!
Me at the top of Castle Hill
Image hosted by Photobucket.com
More views
Image hosted by Photobucket.com
View from below
Image hosted by Photobucket.com
And before I forget, I saw this statue of a cassowary this morning, obviously they are not quite this big in real life
Image hosted by Photobucket.com

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Good job the cassowary isn't as big in real life!!!

Description: The double-wattled Flightless birds the cassowary is one of the largest birds in the world. Weighing as much as 128 pound, only the ostrich is heavier.

The legs are thick and greyish, with three toes. The inner toe has a 12 cm claw like a spike, which is used in defence. Cassowaries can be dangerous when cornered

Females are slightly larger than males. Breeding takes place May to November. After mating, a female lays 3-6 eggs, then leaves the male to sit on them for about 8 weeks until they hatch. The chicks are cream with brown stripes, and stay with the male for 9 months.

I had to look it up as I thought someone was pulling your leg.
xx