Tuesday, July 19, 2005

I slept pretty well last night..considering, there was quite a lot of noise about and I was on the top bunk so was a bit worried that I'd fall out, luckily this morning one of the girls left, so I took her bed! Was up at 7am as I had to be at the train station to meet Al and Hayley. We had a really lovely day, we caught the scenic railway to Kuranda (I've put another link on the right), it was a really leisurely ride through the rain forest with some spectacular scenery, it took about 1.5 hours to get there, it was well worth the ride. When we got to Kuranda we had a look around the village, there are lots of lovely shops there selling all sorts of things. We learnt quite a lot in our time there, we learnt that playing the didgeridoo can help asthma as it expands your lung capacity, and also it's really good for stress...and for your stomach muscles! I even had a go playing one.... it sounded more like a foghorn when I played it!! We learnt about emu's, apparently when they kill them for meat, they take all the oil off their feathers on their backs, it's omega oil like you get from fish, but it's supposed to be a lot better for you.
After we'd had a look round the shops and eaten some lunch, we had a stop at the 'German Tucker' cafe for old times sake and a Radler (that's Shandy to the English!) and then a walk along the river. Then it was time to get the Skyrail (gondola) back again. That was a pretty amazing experience, all together it's a 45 minute ride above the rainforest canopy with 2 stops on the way where you can get out and have a walk and take some pictures. I must admit I was a bit scared on some of the way as it was so high up and it stopped a few times, but on the whole it was definitely worth it. We were pretty disapointed with the weather today, it was really overcast and rained a few times, it's not supposed to be like that here!! After that it was a short bus ride back into Cairns where Alison and Hayley went to pick up their hire car, I didn't realise they weren't staying in Cairns tonight, but they were going to Port Douglas. It was great having the day with them and I must admit I was a bit sad to see them go as I'm back on my own again, but I'll be in Port Douglas on Friday night, so we're hopefully going to be able to meet up then.
That's about it for today, have another early start tomorrow to go to the Atherton Tablelands.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

excellent... canopy tastic!
Sounds like an excellent trip, shame the weather was a bit unpleasant.
No birds trying to eat your face today than... speak soon.