Thursday, July 28, 2005

Billabong Sanctuary - Confronting my fears!
Well, what a day yesterday was! I had a really good time at the Billabong Sanctuary, and I really suprised myself to say the least (read on!)
The place was really nice, as soon as you walk in you see it's all based around a big billabong, there are ducks all over the place and kangaroos just walking, sorry bouncing around. I fed the kangaroos, they are so cute, they all come up to you sniffing for food.
First stop was the wombat show, they brought Willemena out, she was really cute running around sniffing everybody. They gave us a talk about the wombats their closest relative is the koala believe it or not. Then it was time to get our pics taken with her, I put her on my knees and gave her a big cuddle, she was really heavy I tell you, I think her weight was about half of mine, she was huge...cute tho!!
Next we walked around to the koala show, again they gave us a talk about the koalas, I learnt lots of interesting facts, then we were allowed to have our photos taken with Henry. To be honest I was really looking forward to this most of all, it was ok, but he kept digging his really sharp claws into my neck....and he smelt a bit too, but apart from that it was pretty cool.
Next stop was the birds, I didn't hold one of those though...not after what happened in Cairns! Then out came a small crocodile, I was a bit dubious about touching him (Humphrey) but I thought I'd give it a go, next thing I knew I was holding him!! It was a very strange feeling, he was very cold and I could feel it's heart beating, it was quite interesting. Then they brought out a blue tongue lizard, the skin on him looked like a snakes, so I wasn't keen on touching it, as I have a real phobia about snakes, anyway, again I plucked up the courage and after about 10 minutes I had a quick touch, then I found I was holding him aargh, that was a bit freaky! Then they brought out the snakes, and I thought there's no way I'm going anywhere near one of those and sat as far away as possible. I learnt a lot of stuff about them as well, including what to do if you get bitten by one, it really was very interesting. They started bringing the snakes around so I was a bit freaked out, when it got closer I thought, Vikki you have to do this, if you're not going to do bungy jumping, you have to do this, it'll be your challenge, so I touched it (very briefly)!!!. After he had done the talk about the snakes, they went off and people were having their pictures taken with them around their necks, I decided to go and watch the eels and the turtles being fed. After a while, I'd decided that touching the snake wasn't enough and I wanted to try and confront my fear, so I bravely walked over and asked the guy if I could just hold it (Amanda the carpet python), so I started off with her tail in my left hand, then he put her head in my right hand....and then again before I knew it, the thing was around my neck!!!!! ohmigod, I can't believe I did it, how strange it felt. After I gave it back I was on such a high, I kept showing everyone the photo as I was so proud! I'm still pretty shocked by it all, but I'm really amazed at myself. I have got loads of photos, but unfortunatly I can't put them online here, so you'll have to wait (I guess you'll need proof that I did actually do all this!!)
After that, I got dropped off at the beach and had a walk, the beachfront was actually longer than I thought, so I took a pretty long walk, the sea looked absolutely gorgeous.
Today I checked out and came over to Magnetic Island. It is so beautiful here, on the ferry ride over I was in awe, and when I actually got here I was even more so. The hostel here at Horseshoe bay is lovely, I'm staying in a little hut, it's all just been renovated, so it's really clean. I went to the beach and spent the afternoon there just lying in the sun, the beach is one of the best I've ever seen, and it's so quiet and peaceful, I love it. It was really hot too, who'd have thought it is still winter here, I dread to think what the summer is like! After a lazy afternoon, I came back and had a shower then went back to the beach to see the sunset which was beautiful. Tonight I met up with a couple from England who I'd met up at Cape Tribulation, we've had a really nice night, the bar is packed and they have brought in a guy who had got everyone up playing drums, shakers, tambourines etc etc, it's so much fun. I had to break away and update this quickly, cos I don't want to get behind! Having a fab time here, I really love it!

No comments: