Wednesday, June 07, 2006

Yesterday we went into Poole and did a bit of shopping, the shopping centre actually seems a lot smaller than I remember, I guess I’m used to these big Australian shopping malls now! One thing we’ve noticed here is that everyone has gone absolutely football mad….the shops are full of England t-shirts, flags, towels, anything you can think of they have, and the amount of cars with the St Georges flags sticking from them is just mad, some cars even have 2 or 3 of them, it’s very amusing!
I was very good at the shops and I only bought a top (not for the want of trying tho!!). Jason bought quite a lot of stuff. I had to go to the dentists in the afternoon, I thought I was only going to have a check up and a scale and polish…I ended up having a bloomin filling…not happy! After that we drove home for some dinner, then Jason and I went to see Elaine and her family. I showed Jason my old schools on the way there, and our old house we used to live in with Dad, it was really weird seeing it again, I haven’t been past since we moved out nearly 20 years ago. It was lovely to see Elaine and everyone again, I saw Katie too, who is my step-niece I guess, she is nearly 3 and so cute. We got home about 10, it’s funny that it doesn’t get dark till that time here, coming from Australia where at the moment it gets dark at 5pm, it takes a bit to get used to, the days seem a lot longer.
This morning I was up at 6.30am, I wanted to get tickets for the Robbie concert in Sydney, I was very lucky and got 2 tickets…I even managed to persuade Jason to come, which I think is a miracle! So I was very happy about that!
The weather is still gorgeous here, we’ve been so lucky, it really does make such a difference when the sun is out. We had a nice drive today, we drove to Wareham first and stopped there for a bit and had a look around. Then it was off to see Corfe Castle which is an old medieval castle, there is so much history around this area. I’d forgotten how lovely the village was there, it was so pretty, there are lots of oldy worldy cottages there. We went into the model village too, it showed the castle before it was attacked. Next stop was Harmans Cross where we got on the old steam train to Swanage (we were being very touristy!) It does make a difference when you’re showing someone around tho, you really see things that you probably wouldn’t normally see or do. Swanage was really nice, we walked to the beach, it’s not quite Bondi as Jason said, but it was nice. We stayed there for a couple of hours, then headed back to catch the train. On the drive back home, I took Jason to Blue Pool, but we didn’t go in as it charged £4.50 and we only wanted to have a quick look (another thing Jason noticed, they charge tourists for absolutely everything here). So we drove to Kimmeridge next, the countryside really is beautiful around here, I’d forgotten how lovely it actually is, it really made me appreciate it a lot more. We drove through the country through Kimmeridge and had a look at the beach. Then it was time to start driving home so we’d miss the traffic.
We had such a lovely day, it was really nice to go to all these places again (all these places I’ve talked about I used to go to with my Mum, Dad and brother when we were small, so it brought back a lot of fond memories). I have to sign off now, as I’m feeling very sleepy again, it didn’t help getting up so early this morning! The jet-lag isn’t actually as bad as I thought, I’ve just been getting tired early evening, and I think driving today didn’t help either. Another busy day of hairdressers and meeting friends tomorrow, I've hardly seen my Mum, hopefully we'll get to spend some more time together at the end of the week.

No comments: